According to the DVSA and the Traffic Commissioner, the following records must be kept for each vehicle and each driver for a period of not less than 15 months:
- Daily walk-around vehicle inspection reports by drivers. Even if no defects are found (write “NIL”).
- Six-weekly vehicle safety inspection reports from your maintenance provider.
- Vehicle repair and parts replacement reports and receipts.
- Drivers’ hours downloaded from the tachographs.
- Accounting records for as long as HMRC require.
- Haulage contracts with your clients.
- Notices of violations, prohibitions, prosecutions, and convictions concerning the operator and the drivers.
How do I keep my records?
For record keeping procedures please see this article.